How to Apply
Applications for the Graduate Program in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at KU are made through the Office of Graduate Studies. Start the Application Process.
Domestic - $65.00
International - $85.00
Requirements for regular admission
- Bachelor's Degree or Higher
- GPA 3.0 or above in your last degree
When to apply
To ensure full consideration, apply before the application submission date. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
- Submission date for Spring admission is October 1st.
- Submission date for Fall admission is December 31st.
Please upload ALL documents specified below at the time of application submission. Additional materials provided after the online application process (by email or post) will not be considered. We will review your application only after the application process is complete.
- Transcripts. A scanned version of the transcript from your undergraduate and any post-Bachelor institution(s). (If admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts by the end of your first semester at KU.)
- Statement of Purpose (A single document also including: academic interests and professional goals)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Recommendations. You will be asked for the names and email addresses of three people who can write a recommendation letter describing your qualifications for graduate school in physics and astronomy. Once you submit the application, an email will be sent to each recommender requesting a letter and electronic survey from each person that you name.
- GRE Scores. Not required, but highly recommended. A scanned version of score report is acceptable for review. However, an official score report is required before an admission can be offered.
- GRE Subject Score (Physics). Not required, but highly recommended. A scanned version of score report is acceptable for review. However, an official score report is required before an admission can be offered. (Note: Applicants who submit GRE Physics scores have priority for admission and financial supports.)
Note: If you choose to take the GRE and or GRE Subject Examinations, you will be asked to choose an “Intended Graduate Major” code. There are ~10 different codes to choose from. Feel free to pick the one that most closely matches your interests. Do not worry at all about which code you choose. It is totally a personal option and is also irrelevant to getting into our program. It only reflects your generalalized interest in a specific discipline within physics. If you are still in a quandary as to which one to choose, then simply choose “Physics – 0808”.
ETS Codes for submitting original GRE Score Reports:
- Proof of English proficiency. Please review the requirements for admissions and employment and the KU Policy Library. To be considered for GTA/GRA support, you must be admitted on Regular Admission/Status. A scanned version of score report is acceptable for review. However, an official score report is required before an admission can be offered.
- Foreign GPA. If your last degree is awarded by a foreign institution, please determine whether your GPA meets our requirement of 3.0 (Letter grade B) using this grade conversion tool. Also please include your U.S. GPA equivalence, otherwise delays could be expected for processing of your application.
ETS Codes for submitting original iBT TOEFL Score Reports:
Please upload ALL documents specified above at the time of application submission. Additional materials provided after the online application process (by email or post) will not be considered. We will review your application only after the application process is complete.
Please contact Joel Sauerwein, Graduate Secretary. You can reach him at 785-864-1225, or JoelSauer@ku.edu.
- Mean-Time-to-Degree Data (xls)
- Additional information on Assistantships and Fellowships
- KU Graduate Studies Main Site which includes links to info on housing, scholarships, tuition and fees.