Advising Information

Here are the faculty advisors for physics, astronomy and engineering physics majors:

Astronomy Advisors
Barbara Anthony-Twarog
Bruce Twarog

Engineering Physics Advisors
A-K - Steve Hawley
L-Z - Chris Fischer

Physics Advisors
A-D - Jack Shi
E-L - Tom Cravens
M-R - Michael Murray
S-Z - Ian Lewis

If you are a freshman or sophomore, you probably have an assigned advisor in the University Advising Center. You are welcome and encouraged to see your assigned advisor in this department instead of, or in addition to, a visit to your UAC advisor.

Freshmen and Sophomores

Freshmen and sophomores (and some students who have not yet declared majors) will have advising holds. The hold can be cleared after you visit with your advisor. If you see a departmental advisor, please ask him or her to communicate with our office staff to have the hold cleared.  You’re welcome to stop by the office (1082 Malott) to verify that the hold has been cleared – our office staff will be very happy to meet and help you.


Although you probably know what you need to take next semester, your advisor will be happy to talk about post-graduate plans and research opportunities. If you wish to graduate with departmental honors, plan to meet with Prof. Anthony-Twarog. Engineering physics majors should ask their advisor or Prof. Anthony-Twarog about the requirements for departmental honors.  Requirements for departmental honors in physics and astronomy may be reviewed at:


Information about graduation paperwork and deadlines may be found at:

Plan to meet with your departmental advisor in the Fall semester to fill out certification for your major and/or minor degree completion.  All students must complete an Application for Graduation (AFD) online through Enroll&Pay.  Verify with Prof. Anthony-Twarog that you are on track for departmental honors if that's part of your graduation plan.  Take the Regent's survey, and your paperwork is done!

Planning for your advising appointment:

Use  to view your Degree Progress Report, Academic Notices, look for any advising holds and note the earliest date and time you may enroll.  You advisor may ask you to bring an academic record.   One way to do this is to use the “Print Advising Report”  button at the bottom of pages describing your academic progress on the MyKU portal.  Another way is to create a checklist on the Degree Progress Report page .  Both actions generate pdf files that can be printed or shared with your advisor.

Other useful links:

If you are interested in taking the GRE, test centers and dates can be found here. For information on the GRE Physics exam please visit this link. Any questions about the KU testing center can be addressed here.

Department Communications

Colloquia         Seminars         Public Events         AAL



Department            Alumni


Mr. Bob Show              Colloquia

Alumni Remembrances          Public Lectures

Departmental Calendar

Mr. Bob T-Shirts: Lab Support
Home to 50+ departments, centers, and programs, the School of the Arts, and the School of Public Affairs and Administration
KU offers courses in 40 languages
No. 1 ranking in city management and urban policy —U.S. News and World Report
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
KU Today

Social Media

Find us on Facebook