Applications for the Graduate Program in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at KU are made through the Office of Graduate Studies. Start the Application Process. For those of you that have applied, the department releases their first round of offer letters towards the end of January. Individuals that receive an offer have until the national deadline of April 15th to accept or decline the offer. After April 15th the admissions committee will revisit availability and determine if a second round of offers can be made.
Domestic - $65.00
International - $85.00
To request a fee waiver, please visit this webpage.
Requirements for regular admission:
All students admitted to the MS, MS/PhD, or PhD program must meet the University's requirements for regular admission.
- Bachelor's Degree or Higher
- GPA 3.0 or above in at least one previous degree
- English proficiency that meets the requirements for Regular Admission (International Applicants only)
When to apply
To ensure full consideration, apply before the application submission date. Letters of recommendation should be submitted before the application deadline. Incomplete or late applications may not be considered.
- Submission date for Spring admission is October 1st.
- Submission date for Fall admission is December 31st.
Note about COVID
KU Physics & Astronomy's graduate admission committee is making accommodations on how we evaluate the graduate school applications because of the severe global and national impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. If you think that the pandemic negatively impacted your course grades for the 2020 calendar year or your (optional) GRE score, please don't hesitate to let us know in your statement of purpose so that we can de-weight those scores when we evaluate your applications. Please also be reminded that the GRE score is optional for the application.
Please upload ALL documents specified below at the time of application submission. Additional materials provided after the online application process (by email or post) will not be considered. We will review your application only after the application is complete.
- Transcripts A scanned version of the transcript from your undergraduate and any post-Bachelor institution(s). If admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts by the end of your first semester at KU to avoid having a hold placed on your student account. Review the KU Transcript requirement for more information, especially for International Applicants who may need to provide additional documentation.
- Statement of Purpose A single document also including: academic interests and professional goals.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Recommendations. You will be asked for the names and email addresses of three people who can write a recommendation letter describing your qualifications for graduate school in physics and astronomy. Once you submit the application, an email will be sent to each recommender requesting a letter and electronic survey from each person that you name.
- GRE Scores are not required. A scanned version of your score report is acceptable for review.
- GRE Subject Score (Physics) are not required. If you choose to submit your score, a scanned version of your score report is acceptable for review. Admitted students who take the GRE and achieve a score of 650 or higher will be exempt from taking the Department's Diagnostic Exam during Orientation (see https://physics.ku.edu/individualized-plan-of-study).
Note: If you choose to take the GRE and or GRE Subject Examinations, you will be asked to choose an “Intended Graduate Major” code. There are about 10 different codes to choose from. To ensure that your scores are sent to our Department, please choose “Physics – 0808”.
ETS Codes for submitting original GRE Score Reports:
- Proof of English proficiency. Please review the requirements for admissions and employment and the KU Policy Library. To be considered for GTA/GRA support, you must be admitted on Regular Admission/Status. A scanned version of your score report is acceptable for review; however, an official score report is required before admission can be offered. For international students, if you are unable to take the TOEFL or the IELTS exam due to constraints imposed by the pandemic, please feel free to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Depending on your situation, we would work with you to see if the English proficiency requirement can be fulfilled in an alternative way.
- Foreign GPA. If your last degree is awarded by a foreign institution, please determine whether your GPA meets our requirement of 3.0 (Letter grade B) using this grade conversion tool. Also please include your U.S. GPA equivalence, otherwise delays could be expected for processing of your application.
ETS Codes for submitting original iBT TOEFL Score Reports:
Please upload ALL documents specified above at the time of application submission. Additional materials provided after the online application process (by email or post) will not be considered. We will review your application only after the application process is complete.
Please contact Joel Sauerwein, Graduate Coordinator, with any questions about graduate applications andadmissions. You can reach him at 785-864-1225, or JoelSauer@ku.edu. When contacting via email, please put "Admission/Application Inquiry" in the subject line.
For questions on graduate research opportunities, please contact the graduate recruitment committee at email@example.com or any faculty members directly.